Monday, May 21, 2007

Galapago-go-go-you must go

I believe in love at first sight. And I am in love.

Before you women begin to get panicky, its a place, this is my place. I flew into the Galapagos Islands today, Isla Santa Cruz. When you land all you can see is this volcanic mountain in the clouds in the distance, miles of scrub and lava rocks and azure waters all around. You could see a trail cutting straight through the mountain, long and slow. I wasn´t sure it was the road until we crossed the channel from the airport to the main island and I got into a truck/cab and sure enough, that was the road. You could see probably 25 of the 42 km from that boat drop to the little town, just until it disappeared over the hill. My driver, whose name I have forgotten, was awesome. Picture one of the guys from Globe Trekker, now picture him as Ecuadoran, now enter his little white truck in the Indy 500, that was my ride. He spoke no English but I got an amazing amount of his spanish. He seemed proud that I figured out Norte, Sud, Este and ouest. I chucked him on the shoulder and said ¨shucks¨ but in spanish which is ¨shuckenos¨.

The town of Puerto Ayora is perfect. It is waterfront, for the most part, and made up mostly of guesthouses, dive operators, food and shops... not unlike a strip mall but imagine if they were colorful, nicely kept, with smiling people waving when you pass. That is this place. It reminds me a bit of Ilha Grande, Brazil, but nicer. I spent much of the afternoon at the Darwin Research station... giant tortoises and lava lizards and finches. I had a finch land within 6 inches of my shoulder while I was sitting in the shade, he looked curious and decided I wasn´t that interesting (odd, he reached the same conclusion as most of the women I´ve met). I will be diving tomorrow and I´m pretty excited, just standing at the pier I saw a seal, a stingray, several gulls, and an albatross.

Also, I have decided to write a book on travel. Now I know I don´t have the experience Tommy and Meredith have, but I´ve started putting it together in my head and I think it is going to be great. I will take some consultation from my fellow travelers and friends. In fact, thats sort of how I´m entertaining myself, writing a book in my head.

But it wouldn´t be a blog of mine without some observatio:

I would be a volleyball GOD here... if they had rules, remember newcombe from elementary school, for the kids that couldn´t hit straight they created a game where you could catch it, well that is similar to the volleyball here. Then again, these guys are about the size of some elementary school kids so maybe thats why.

Apparently wearing no shirt to a bar is hot... two nights ago in Quito, there was a guy shirtless... he was wearing skin tight leather pants, with chains and no shirt. It was sort of chilly so I doubt he forgot it. I suppose that was the next logical evolution from the mesh shirt in the clubbing world.

I´ve now been propositioned by hookers in at least 3 countries, none of which are my own. Yep, my cab driver last night tried to set up this deal. Alright dude, if I was going to do that, I would do some better shopping than this road skank. He says ¨you have sex with her?¨and I wonder if she was offended by just how fast I said ¨No, just mi cambio¨

Breast feeding in restaurants, museums, parks, wherever... I have nothing more to say here.

Change is just as hard to get here as anywhere but the U.S. ... what is the F$&"·&%G reluctance to change a bill? If someone has been paying you all day for something, you have money right? I just don´t get this and I never will.

Several other things to note:

B - I just had my first Fanta and I have already found my carbonara on the menu, I´m set. Also, I have had coffee several times and a normal mug each time.

Greg - They have toi'toi´s here, not exactly the same, plus the have urinario or something like that. I was walking through a plaza the other day and smelled the stink of urine... I looked around to see if there was a bum nearby and nope, it was a urinario. Also, tell Jen I had a Brahma for lunch today, remember those? Good beer.

Geoff - Already got your present picked out, it SCREAMS you.

I wish you were all here. This may just be one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever been.

hasta

Dave

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buenos dias mi amigo...Just logged onto the blog for the first time. Sorry the trip is a dissapointment...Oh well, should've gone to Cleveland...
Will check back later...
John

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta agree. I'm really starting to lose interest. I had very little interest to begin with and now it's nearly nil.
I think your only two readers are about to drop you and start emailing each other as means of entertainment.
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home