Monday, May 15, 2006

From Russia With Love

Since B is giving the recaps, I'm going to add a little "flava" which is Russian is "Phlayvia". I'm going to do this the easy way, trip notes:

  • The cold hard tile floor of the Frankfurt Airport is not the best place for napping. I do hope they will excuse the puddle of drool.
  • Hearing the creaking of cables in our hostel elevator doesn't make you feel confident about reaching the top nor the time you spent at Jenny Craig to get under the weight limit.
  • We have already had a run-in with the cops for drinking beer in the metro - which we have seen many people do. They grabbed Greg and tried for a bribe. Tommy was ready with his "american cigarettes" but a woman came to our aid.
  • Rumors of Russian alcoholism are true, I've been accosted by an overly friendly drunk in the metro, seen a guy on all-fours in the park and walked past guys double-fisting Lowenbrau at 8am.
  • Red Square is pretty cool. (I had t0 say that, I'm being watched right now.)
  • Russians have the coolest cemetaries. Guess when you have a sucky life, death should be a thrill ride of finery.
  • Russian women. Forget what you know of babushkas named Olga, these are all svelte Svetlanas that make you think a Russian bride isn't a bad idea, I'm bringing home two assuming they'll fit in the overhead and although many are tall, I'm aiming for some short ones.
  • Although B admitted to the Hard Rock Cafe, I'm pretty sure we are eating at the Russian equivalent of Moe's most days... although I haven't gotten the "Welcome to Moeskys" yet.
  • Moscow is a lot nicer than I thought it would be except for the tenament condos. Cabrini Green would fit right in... dynomite!
  • If you come to Russia, learn some cyrillic as it helps because no one speaks english. I'm certain I have propositioned several people unknowingly with choppy Russian... oh who am I kidding, I knew what I was doing.
  • Went to Gorky Park today with Tommy singing The Scorpion's song Winds of Change. In Gorky itself, we got to see the carrousel of change, the rollercoaster of change and the hot dog stand of change. Its become such a wonderful world. (FYI - most of the crap in this park is the worst of americana ... think Myrtle Beach Russian Style).

Looking forward to the Kremlin tomorrow. Life is good comrade.

Dave

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope we don't have any international "incidents" with the Mad Shitter on the loose. Vodka has more than one type of debilitating effect on the body. It does create a whole new slew of expressions though. Dave, remember it's "MAIL" order not "MALE" ordered russian brides. Either way, save the overhead space and just tell them to porky your gorky. Glad to see you're all having fun but I gotta run. Gotta drop the kids off at the Kremlin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home