Friday, May 25, 2007

Lava Salon Dos - Galapagos

Geoff, you would have to name your salon lava rocks salon, the lava doesn´t flow but there are tons of the rocks around.

Today is my last full day in Galapagos and I´m not diving so I took some time to just lounge a bit. I had breakfast at the guesthouse and a friend joined later when I saw her walking by. We made plans for her to borrow my shower later because she only has a cold water shower and has been feeling grimy after scuba lessons. I took off and headed for the beach, think Lopes Mendes for the Brazil crew, but not as much of a hike (though still a hike). White sand, green and blue waters, again, amazing. I snorkeled a bit in the bay but didn´t get to see the sharks there. I felt like I´ve seen enough sharks anyway so I wasn´t disappointed. I may have been spoiled for most other dives. Unless I am in one of the other reknowned spots in the world, it may all just be downhill from here for diving. I guess I will have to come back.

I finally have gotten a little sun, but not too much. My neck and back got a little red on the boats but not too bad since I had the wetsuit on most of the time. One of the boats was sort of funny... to make sure you don´t pee in a borrowed suit, they watch everyone go to the bathroom before hand. It works though, I had a smell free suit. And by watch I don´t mean in a catholic priest sort of way, I mean more like make sure you go into the on'board latrine.

I´m having dinner with my friend tonight, its been nice because she is traveling solo for the first time and wants to have someone to do stuff with and I appreciate the company.

Its hard writing the blog because there are few oddities to remark about to provide you with entertainment. I don´t have black boogers like Brian talked about, I don´t have the constant source of rage that are the Germans (very few here, some Swedes,Swiss,Brits etc.) and I don´t have any feelings of... ¨hey this is messed up¨ like Georgia racists in St. Petersburg. My guesthouse is very plain but clean and a GREAT location so I can´t complain. All in all, this has been a fantastic week!

One thing that is odd, only 1 in 10 people that come to the islands actually stay in Puerto Ayora. This means those of us who are okay with land'based trips, see each other a lot. I must have had dinner with several of the same people in the different restaurants three different nights.

Signing off for now. Bound for Quito tomorrow and will climb the volcanos!

Dave

1 Comments:

At Friday, May 25, 2007 7:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, doubling up on the same post does not count toward keeping your loyal readers satisfied.
Glad to hear everything is exceeding your expectations. Can't wait to see the pics.
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home