Sunday, May 27, 2007

Jungle Fever?

This is going to be my last blog for a while because I seriously doubt that many of the idigenous of the Ecuadoran jungle have T1 lines... internet or food, internet or food... hmmmm...

Today the altitude sickness was kicking but I soldiered on because I will not have three consecutive days in Quito to acclimatize so I just sucked it up... literally. I took a cable car to the top of Pinchincha, or at least one of the peaks. I got up early enough to get a look at the snowcapped peaks of other volcanoes in the distance and the Andes before I was awash in a cloud. I walked around up there for a while sounding like an asthmatic.

Back down on the ground, I was yelled at for taking a photo of this lady in traditional garb but I has already decided not to and was just looking at my other pictures when the husband saw me with the camera in that direction. Oh well, I am not guilty so I will not feel bad.

I also got laundry done, and thank God. I will not have another chance until I come home, which may prompt Brian to leave my car somewhere rather than picking me up.

This time around, I am staying in the Mariscal Sucre which is also known as Gringolandia. I can see why, but ironically, it is really unsafe feeling, way more so than old town but there are more palatable eating places. Knowing that I am heading really into nowhere, I really wanted McDonalds tonight but it is not walking distance and I did not want to cab it. Look it up though, I am going from Lago Agrio to Cuyabeno. I will really be in the middle of it, so if you do not hear from me Friday, well it does not look good then. They were doing shrunken heads here up until a few years ago, or so I am told.

Weird thing, I do not think I have finished a meal in over a week. I am not sure why but I hope that lasts!

Bouncing to a little Snoop and Dre in a Gringolandia bar... and I am out.

D

1 Comments:

At Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please save a pair of clean tighty whiteys and a nice shirt for the flight home. i'd rather not pick you up at the airport if you're gonna smell like a cheetah's armpit.
hey, your flight gets in on sunday at 6 am, right? i wasn't sure if it was saturday or sunday.
cari and i will pick you up at the airport and then we'll go out to breakfast so you can tell us all about the trip.
b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home